Your Reaction to Insect Reactions Matters

kid-bug-bite

Bug bites are something that we are all familiar with and they usually amount to no more than a harmless annoyance. However, bug bites can sometimes cause allergic reactions or illnesses that make the problem a bit more severe. It’s important to know what to do when a child is bitten by a bug and the reaction begins to look out of the ordinary.

Serious Allergic Reactions

If a child is severely allergic to an insect, a bite or sting may cause swelling of the respiratory passageways. Any stings inside of the mouth or on the neck or face may also cause these types of reactions. Immediate medical treatment should be sought if the child has not experienced such symptoms before. If the child has experienced allergic reactions to bites or stings before and has an epinephrine auto-injector, it should be administered immediately.

Minor Allergic Reactions

If a child is bitten or stung by a bug that causes a mild allergic reaction, the area around the bite or sting will begin to swell and redden. The area will be hot to the touch and may be itchy or painful. If the cause of the reaction is a sting, it may be necessary to remove the insect stinger to stop the flow of toxins into the body. After the stinger has been removed, antihistamine creams and ice may help to ease the pain and itching and bring down the swelling.

Insect Bite or Sting Care

Whether or not there is a reaction, insect bites and stings should be cared for carefully to prevent infections. The bite or sting may leave a break in the skin that is susceptible to germs and insects can carry germs, so cleaning the area is important. An antibacterial soap and triple antibiotic creams can help to keep germs away and heal the bite quickly. Using bug spray when going outdoors can help to prevent future insect bites and may deter stinging insects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *